This food is very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, protein, phosphorus, copper and manganese, and a very good source of folate.
- Fava beans are very high in protein
- Rich source of dietary fiber
- High in phyto-nutrients such as isoflavone and plant-sterols
- Contain Levo-dopa or L-dopa, a precursor of neuro-chemicals in the brain such as dopamine, epinephrine and nor-epinephrine
- Excellent source of folates.
- Good amounts of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin and niacin
- Fine source of minerals like iron, copper, manganese, calcium, magnesium. At 1062 mg or 23% of daily recommended levels, fava are one of the highest plant sources of potassium.